Sharing our voices for our health
Looking for a Black family doctor and/or a clinic that provides culturally safe care for people of African descent?
- TAIBU Community Health Centre (CHC) is a multidisciplinary, non-for-profit,
community ledorganization established to serve the Black Community across the Greater Toronto Area as its priority population. We are located in the Malvern neighbourhood of Scarborough in Ontario. http://www.taibuchc. ca/about/
- Women’s Health in Women’s Hands. The Mandate of Women’s Health in Women’s Hands (WHIWH) Community Health Centre is to provide primary healthcare to racialized women from the African, Black, Caribbean, Latin American and South Asian communities in Toronto and surrounding municipalities. https://www.
There are a number of additional community health centres that provide equitable health care and community services for various communities. Many can be found by searching the website of the Alliance for Healthy Communities. The AHC represents 107 community-governed primary health care organizations (including TAIBU and WHIWH). Search for a centre near you: https://www.allianceon.
Are you a Black healthcare provider or administrator who is interested in grass-roots community engagement regarding improving Black community health?
- The Black Health Alliance is a community-led registered charity working to improve the health and well-being of Black communities in Canada. http://
Are you a Black high school or university student in Ontario, who is interested in pursuing a career in medicine or health sciences?
- The University of Toronto has a number of province-wide initiatives for Black and under-represented groups interested in medicine and health sciences. The summer mentorship program gives high school students of Indigenous or African ancestry a chance to explore health sciences. The Community of Support program provides mentors, information on admissions, and guidance through medical school application process. https://medicine.
Are you interested in learning about African American health issues in the United States and accessing online CME?
- The National Medical Association (NMA) is the largest and oldest national organization representing African American physicians and their patients in the United States. https://www.nmanet.