Sharing our voices for our health
BPAO is proud to support the Community Of Support http://www.md.utoronto.ca/community-support
This is a service for prospective medical students from across the province, and indeed the country.
- Launched in March 2015
- Stakeholders: Collaboration between BPAO, Faculty of Medicine OHPSA, UME Enrolment Services, Chief Diversity Officer, BMSA
- Size and growth: Sept 2016: 400+ Black undergrads and recent grads across Canada and the US. March 2015 – March 2016 ~ 200 students. Growing into a national network that is reaching black MD student and resident mentors across Canada
offer:Admissions guidance, mentorship and application support. Mentorship ex: summer biostatistics course, BPAO mentorship sessions (summer), 12+ campus COS chapters providing peer support and skill building opportunities
Mentors can do one or more of the following:
- Provide project work or lead discussions with large groups of students (20+ students) OR speak to their colleagues about starting projects. Their organizations can be brought on board as Social Accountability is an accreditation standard.
- Speak at COS chapters at their alma mater (where they did undergrad / MD / PGME). This can be done in-person or online.
- Help applicants with their Med school application support during the summer time
- Provide research opportunities
- Provide shadowing