The Ontario Medical Association (OMA) advocates for and supports doctors, seeking to strengthen their leadership role in caring for patients. We continually seek to be the trusted voice in transforming Ontario’s health care system by courageously pursuing best practices, innovative ideas, and opportunities to improve.
Our Physician Health Program (PHP) provides a range of services to doctors, residents and medical students across the Province as well as supportive services to family members. PHP services align with the core principle that physician health matters and that education, early intervention and treatment are important in sustaining a healthy medical community. PHP’s services to members include timely connection to mental health and addiction treatment and support; formal assessments; and support, advocacy and accountability (monitoring) programs that assist physicians and students in meeting their accountability requirements and safely returning to training and practice.
As our Associate Medical Director (AMD), Psychiatry, your role will include:
- acting as lead physician for comprehensive assessments of medical students, residents and physicians who have issues impacting their practice/training that can include mental health, substance use and/or professionalism (behavioural) concerns;
- providing clinical supervision for PHP Clinical Coordinators regarding the management of individual cases;
- facilitating treatment referrals to clinicians outside the PHP (the AMD does not provide direct clinical care);
- liaising with various stakeholders including CMPA, hospitals, universities, and regulatory bodies;
- participating as a member of the PHP Leadership Team by assisting with development, implementation and evaluation of policies and procedures to support the operation of the PHP;
- developing and delivering educational and health promotion materials to raise awareness of physician health, to build skills for wellness/resilience and support early intervention at the individual and health system levels;
- maintaining and enhancing the credibility of the PHP as a service to Ontario physicians at risk of, or experiencing substance use and/or mental health problems;
- supporting the research agenda of the PHP.
- Medical Doctor, licensed in Ontario, resident of Ontario
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (Canada) in Psychiatry (specialization in addiction would be an advantage)
- Minimum of 7 years in clinical practice in Psychiatry, including experience dealing with various health related stakeholders
- Experience working within a team and supporting group-based decisions
- Experience in managing substance use disorders, and familiarity with the approach to physicians as safety-sensitive workers is an asset
- Strong knowledge of relevant regulatory bodies’ policies and legislation
- Excellent organizational, communication, and report-writing skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Flexibility to travel within Ontario
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive group health and dental benefits package
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Opportunity to grow with the team and shape the strategic direction of the program
- Funded professional development
- Collegial, supportive, and dynamic work environment
The OMA has moved to a permanent hybrid in-person/virtual environment and as such this position requires weekly in person attendance at the OMA’s Toronto offices (individual circumstances can be discussed to increase coverage across Ontario).
Visit php.oma.org to learn more.
Visit OMA’s career page to apply or contact Laura.Mattila@oma.org
The Ontario Medical Association is an equal opportunity employer. We will accommodate your needs under the Ontario Human Rights Code.